What have I done?
So I thought I would give a little update on what’s new with my setup - specifically my mobile setup.
Well, here’s the news - I bought a new M1 MacBook Air (2020) about 2 or 3 weeks ago. It is the lowest spec version too - so 8GB of RAM, 256GB SSD and all the hype.
This is also my first Apple computer - my first Mac - so that’s pretty neat. The ARM processor is also a big reason I wanted to get one of these things.
I haven’t had too much time to really customize it that much, but I have installed Homebrew, switched the default shell to the newest version of bash and installed some desktop programs I use a bunch like Discord, Spotify, Notion, VS Code etc,.
Some pics and screenshots
What do I like?
Here is a list of the things that I knew I would like about the M1 MacBook so they were not that surprising:
- Sharper font rendering (1440x900 resolution helps)
- Battery life (roughly 10hrs)
- Trackpad haptic feel and precision is awesome - like no other laptop out there
- Touch ID
- Fast wake time
- Aluminum Construction
What I don’t like
- The price: this laptop costs $1000 buckaroos and the specs are lacking to say the least.
- Learning new keyboard shortcuts (default CMD/Option key behavior is strange)
- Window management still lacking (no keyboard shortcuts for windows snapping by default)
- Supporting Apple - a trillion dollar corporation that is the epitome of proprietary software/hardware
I will be posting updates here about my experience using macOS for development and daily tasks. Let’s see what happens!